Seriously. Don’t use Flash. Flash is a type of coding language used on some websites. You might find out it’s used on yours if your site is hosted on certain platforms or you are using particular themes that incorporate Flash.
If your site is running on Flash, it’s time to change things up! Here’s why:
- They really annoy site visitors. There are usually a lot of moving parts and sounds on a Flash-based website. This can be too much for people. The sound can be the worst because you never know what that person might be doing that sound can interrupt. Maybe they’re in a meeting, their baby is sleeping in the bassinet next to them, or they’re just in a quiet place like a library.
- They’re confusing. When you try to find your way around a Flash-based website, you can never figure out where you are because the pages change without changing the url. That makes it really hard to go backward and look at the previous page. And it makes things even harder when they want to share a particular page on social media. You want to make it easy for your site visitors to share your art!
- Google gets lost. This plays off the confusing-ness, really. Search engines have trouble figuring out your site and “indexing” pages when your product listings don’t have a different url from your homepage. And that’s really bad for SEO.
- It makes your site slow. Like really slow. Full-on turtle slow. That causes a lot of visitors to leave your page before it finishes loading because they get bored.
- It makes your site slow. Yep, just said that. But a slow site also messes up your SEO since most search engines take into account how quickly your site loads as part of your ranking.
- Mobile devices can’t use it. Anyone who tries to pop open any page on your site with their cellphone or tablet won’t be able to open it. That’s a big chunk of potential site visitors, totally lost.
- It’s totally unpopular. This isn’t a very good reason to make decisions for your business. But you’ll notice people have a poor impression of your site just because you use Flash. There’s something about the vibe of a Flash-based site that feels outdated.
So now what?
Go figure out if your site runs on Flash! And if it does, head over to my recommendations page to find out what I recommend for building a new site.